Monday 19 May 2014

Spanakopitta (Spinach and Feta Parcels)

So I had never had Greek food before I started going out with my current boyfriend Tom, then he took me to his family's favourite restaurant and now I'm obsessed! Unfortunately, there are no Greek restaurants where I live at University so I don't get to have it as much as I'd like.

Last year I decided I was going to try to recreate the spinach and feta parcels I had the first night I ate Greek food. I thought it would be an absolute disaster, but Tom said they were the best he'd ever had... and we weren't still in the white-lies keeping each other happy stage of the relationship! It must have been beginners luck!

Spinach and Feta, Filo Pastry, Spinach and Feta Parcels, Greek Food, Greek Recipe
Here's how I made them...

Ingredients (for 12 parcels):

1 large bag of fresh Spinach

Butter

Feta Cheese

Just-Roll Filo Pastry (I'm a cheat... pastry is not my forte)

A sprinkle of plain flour for rolling

Firstly I melt the butter in a pan and add the spinach to cook for a couple of minutes, until they start to look soggy.

Then I take them off the heat and let them cool down before mixing them with the feta. While they're cooling down I roll out the fill pastry and cut them into little 10cm squares. There needs to be 2 pastry squares per parcel that you want to make.

This took a while the first time so the spinach was cooled but when you start to get used to doing this you can usually have a sit down or watch a bit of TV in between.

When the spinach and butter have finally cooled pop them into a mixing bowl and add the feta. Be careful not to add all of the juicy watery stuff that is in the feta packet as this makes them a bit too soggy. Mix together the ingredients in the bowl until they've made a sort of lumpy paste.

Then you want to lay out the pastry squares diagonal to each other so they look like this...
Sorry I didn't take a picture of this step but I'm sure the diagram makes sense. Plop a teaspoon of the paste into the middle of the squares, be careful not to put too much in as they can overflow a lot. Then grab the corners of the top square and try to make them meet each other at the top... and do the same with the bottom square.

Once you've done this for all of your parcels just pop them in the oven for 15-20mins at 180degrees. The parcels taste a lot better warm so if you are planning to save some for another time then I recommend cooking them for only 12-15mins so that you can pop them in for 5mins before you want to serve them at a later time.


No comments:

Post a Comment