Sunday 18 May 2014

Chicken, Apple and Walnut Risotto

Trying this incredible combination of ingredients for the first time (and risotto for that matter) was inevitably going to be something to remember. Especially seeing as it was when I was about 8 years old and was on a mountain in a very posh restaurant in Austria with an amazing view. Now when I think back to it, I can vaguely remember the view but the memory that hasn't diminished at all is that of the taste of this risotto. The mixture of apple and walnuts into such an incredibly creamy sauce is mouth watering. I've tried lots to recreate it and haven't managed to quite get it yet, but I think I've got close...

Ingredients (for 2 servings):

Half an Onion

Two Chicken Breasts

1 Garlic Clove

2 Handfulls of Arborio Rice

Chicken OXO Cube

3/4 Closed Cup Mushrooms

Approx 10 Walnuts

1 Apple (I used a Braeburn) 

Double Cream

Grated Mature Cheddar

-And remember I'm a student so thats only come to £4.36 (calculating based on actual amounts of ingredients used not what the whole packet costs etc.) So thats approx £2 a serving which I think is difficult to match...especially something that tastes this good! 

So firstly I finely dice the onion and chop the chicken into cubes. You can basically use as much onion as you like but having some gives good flavour so don't leave it out unless you really hate it. Chop up your garlic clove instead of crushing it because for some magical reason chopping it keeps the flavour better than using a garlic crusher (or that might just be a myth). 

Fry up the onions (I like them practically cremated so thats why my risotto usually ends up looking quite a dark creamy colour), chicken and garlic in some oil. At this point pop the kettle on to boil some water. 

It's important to make sure that the pan isn't too dry before the next step, so if necessary add a little bit more oil. Put the rice into the pan and mix it around with the fried onions, garlic and chicken. Frying the rice for a little bit without any liquid will help to release some of the starch... which basically makes the risotto thick and not like sloppy rice pudding. 

You should only need to do this until your kettle has boiled and you've had chance to make up a jug of chicken stock using the OXO cube. Once you've got the stock ready you need to add it bit by bit to the pan. Put just enough stock in to cover the rice in the pan and wait until it has been absorbed by the rice. Make sure you keep stirring or the bottom will get very dry! 

This is an important stage and should be repeated about 5 or 6 times. During this stage, when I have time I chop up the mushrooms and apple and break up the walnuts. It will probably take around 20 mins for the rice to absorb all the liquid and the slower you allow it to absorb, the more creamy the risotto will end up. When it gets to the last little bit of stock that needs adding it's time to add the apple, walnut pieces and mushrooms.


I add my mushrooms late because I really don't like them when they're overcooked and soggy. But you could put them in earlier if you like! Then I grate some cheese while I'm waiting for that last little bit of stock to be absorbed, and once it has I add the cream. Sorry, I don't really do measurements (I'll try to start) but I put about a shots worth of cream in there. Yes... such a student way of measuring things! 

Then I add half of the grated cheese to the pan while it is still on the heat to let it melt and then mix it all in with the risotto. 


Do you see my little cheese grater there? It's such a handy little accessory, I used to always get cheese everywhere and now it all gets collected in the little holder. It's from IKEA, my parents got it for me just before I went to uni and it was only £5.50. I think that's definitely worth it... plus it comes with a spare grater front. 

Serve up and put some more cheese and extra walnuts on top for decoration. 


P.S- Sometimes I add a bit of Spinach to this if I am feeling healthy or craving it, but I didn't have any in today so I left it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment