Saturday 17 May 2014

Budget Baker's Survival Kit

Why, oh why didn't I take a photo of this?

I don't think I'll ever kick myself enough, this was the cutest gift I have made someone in a while and all in all it only cost me £9. I am crossing my fingers that it looked like it had cost me more than that when it was all done...well I really hope it didn't look cheap!

The gift was for my friend Kayleigh who absolutely loves baking... (you can check out some of her wonderful cakes here) I had decided I wanted to get her something to do with baking and I had been seeing mason jars being used all over the place on Pinterest. This was my inspiration, so I got a Kilner jar for £2 and decided that would be the base of my gift.
My favourite thing that I put into the jar were these heart shaped cookie cutters from Sainsbury's. They were the most expensive part of the gift at only £3. Unfortunately (because I'm not a pro) I bought some that didn't all fit in the jar, but for this time that was okay! A few of them did fit in and I just popped the others into the gift bag... I nearly kept them for myself to be honest though they were so cute!

I added in some really cute pink polka dot cupcake cases, some chocolate chips, chocolate buttons and vanilla essence which all came to another £4.

I used one of the cupcake cases to make the top of the jar look really cute... you can see an example here (sorry I didn't take a picture of the one I made, imagine this with pink polka dots).
The Kilner Jar came with a little blank sticky label which I put a little message on and stuck on the front. I think if I were to do it again I would 1) TAKE PHOTOS and 2) put some ribbon or a bow around the jar or something!

I'm really excited to make little gifts like this again, I think they are so personal and much much better than receiving something that you don't really want or need. At least I know my baker's survival kit will get good use :)

No comments:

Post a Comment